Water Safety Strategies
- Aquatic Safety Research Group
- Water Safety Strategies 1
- Water Safety Strategies 2
- Water Safety Strategies 3
- Water Safety Strategies 4
- Water Safety Strategies 5
- Water Safety Strategies 6
- Water Safety Strategies 7
- Water Safety Strategies 8
- Water Safety Strategies 9
- Water Safety Strategies 10
- Water Safety Strategies 11
- Water Safety Strategies 12
- Water Safety Strategies 13
- Water Safety Strategies 14
- Water Safety Strategies 15
- Water Safety Strategies 16
- Water Safety Strategies 17
- Water Safety Strategies 18
- Water Safety Strategies 19
- Water Safety Strategies 20
- Water Safety Strategies 21
- Water Safety Strategies 22
- Water Safety Strategies 23
- Water Safety Strategies 24
- Water Safety Strategies 25
- Water Safety Strategies 26
- Water Safety Strategies 27
- Water Safety Strategies 28
- Course Conclusion
We urge all safety supervisors to follow the best practices as presented by Aquatic Safety Inc. and to stay alert at all times. We recognise that safety supervisors are not life guards – but in their role at Thendara they are the first line of defense in identifying and managing an emergency situation. Remember – people who are drowning rarely call for help, an alert individual is often the only thing that will save someone.
Emergency Action Plan
Thendara is required to maintain an emergency action plan and as the Safety Supervisor it is your responsibility to carry it out in an emergency situation. A copy of the plan is in the Supervisors Log book.
THENDARA SWIM DOCK EMERGENCY ACTION PLAN
- Recognize emergency & act.
- Alert others: use a three whistle blast signal, air horn signal and/or verbal commands.
- Contact victim.
- Move victim to safety – following “reach, throw, row” protocols as needed.
- Assesses victim’s condition.
- Provide necessary first aid if able.
- Notify EMS if necessary – call 911.
- Clear the area of non essential people.
- Designate someone to meet EMS at the gate if needed.
- Equipment checked & replaced, any damage or supply used up should be noted.
- Camp Chair notified.
- Camp accident report completed (paper form in log book, online form on website).
Calling for help
As always in an emergency call 9-1-1. However given the location of the camp and swim dock to emergency professionals it’s likely that any outside emergency response will take 30 minutes or longer to arrive.
Cell phone coverage at the Thendara Swim dock is mixed. Verizon seems to be the only provider with consistent coverage. If you or another individual on the dock can not get through to 9-1-1 on a personal cell phone there is an Emergency Cell Phone located at the swim dock (in a combination locked box) – it operates on the Verizon network and is charged by a solar panel. It should have enough signal and battery strength to make a 9-1-1 call.
In addition there is a landline in the Lodge. If the lodge is locked there is a wireless extension for that phone in the bunk house. The landline number is (845) 351-4798.
Please make sure you have a good grasp of the location of the camp and swim dock to assist in guiding any emergency services to the camp and swim dock by phone. Tell them someone will meet them at the gate if that is possible, or that the gate is locked and Park Police need to respond. Give them the current gate combination if you know it.
Giving emergency services the location
Thendara Mountain Club Swim Dock is located at Camp T-20 on Lake Tiorati in Harriman State Park. The address of Camp T-20 is 1984 Seven Lakes Dr, Southfields NY 01976.
A mnemonic for remembering the street number is George Orwell’s book 1984. While that address will get most current GPS mapping apps relatively close to the gate. Google and Bing maps are currently off by up to ½ a mile when based on that address alone.
It may be helpful to note that the gate says Camp Thendara on it and that it is located on the East side of 7 Lakes Drive almost 2 miles north of Route 106 and 1 ½ miles south of Tiorati Brook Rd.
- Gate GPS Coordinates: 41°15’24.8″N 74°06’02.2″W
- Swim Dock GPS Coordinates: 41°15’32.0″N 74°05’46.9″W
- Google Maps Link
- Thendara Website Directions Page
Nearest Emergency Room
In the event of a minor medical mishap the closest emergency room is at Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern NY. The Address is 255 Lafayette Ave, Suffern, NY 10901 (845) 368-5000. It takes about 25-30 minutes to drive there under normal traffic conditions.
We recommend you follow GPS directions to get there – but as many peoples cell coverage doesn’t work in the park here are simplified directions:
Make 3 Left Turns.
Left out of the Thendara driveway and follow Seven Lakes drive to the end.
Left on Rt 17 South in Sloatsburg. Rt 17 will become Rt 59 stay straight/left and follow Rt 59 into Suffern.
Left on Lafayette Ave in Suffern (continue following signs for Rt 59).